Wednesday, July 22, 2009

One Step Closer to Self Replication



The image to the left is the output of a laser printer on some photo paper. I am making my own PCB. I am making a motor controller for my personal fabricator. The design of the motor controller is not much, they get 12V in and take in a logic signal in the 5V range, and output the necessary voltage levels for driving a stepper motor. I took the existing design from RepRap and laid it out in 1 layer instead of a 2 layer PCB. This opens the door for me to make the PCB at home. I am doing this because the company that sells the board has not shipped my order yet and it's been close to four weeks since I ordered the stuff that was "in stock" at the time of my order. In the larger scheme of things you can use a CNC mill to mill your own PCB designs. This is pretty big. Doing this to a RepStrap would make it closer to being a RepRap. Although I think people who worry about such definitions are internet trolls. Milling a PCB for surface mount has been done before, and it will be done again. The board pictured on the left is not yet ready for milling, instead I'm using a technique that involves ironing the pattern on to a PCB and then etching this off. I'm not the originator of such a method, but I have successfully done it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment